Wednesday, December 24, 2008

morning bloggers.  yesterday i found myself quoting the shorter version of the serenity prayer about something as simple as my not being able to control my son's care of his doggie (they're both home for the christmas visit). i'd never heard the longer, original version of the prayer until the last few years and found it curious that it is quite a biblical prayer. i thought i'd share it today tho it has nothing to do with christmas eve per se! 

niebuhr was a methodist minister from missouri. i did some research on him just about a year ago for a presentation i did at alanon. alanon is a wonderful, free support group for family members of alcoholics, based on the 12 aa steps originally designed for alcoholics. i've been going now for three years this month. (i was also involved in celebrate recovery for almost a year and loved it as well. it is a great program that has added scripture to each of the 12 steps. can't beat that!)

unfortunately, alcoholism runs in my family. it is a(n) horrible disease. yes, i do believe it is a disease, not just a moral, weakness problem. anyway, before i go to preaching, here 'tis.

SERENITY PRAYER

God, grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change,

the courage to change the things I can,

and the wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time,

enjoying one moment at a time;

accepting hardship as a pathway to peace;

taking, as Jesus did,

this sinful world as it is,

not as I would have it;

trusting that You will make all things right

if I surrender to Your will;

so that I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

Reinhold Niebuhr

No comments: