Monday, April 6, 2009

the glorious covering of Christ upon us

do you believe we are born basically good people?  scripture teaches that we are born with a sin nature and yes, even babies are born that way.  it's a doctrine called total depravity, that no aspect of our being is not touched by sin and given a choice, we'd do what we want to do, not what God wants us to do. this has been on my mind because of the excellent sermon my pastor preached weeks back as he takes us through the book of zephaniah. (my husband just fills in when needed but this sermon was from pastor tim who is the pastor of our church at cov pres little rock.)

tim said this:  "by nature we are wart ridden people."  we are "born shameless covenant breakers." "we hide via facade" from God and others.  we can't fake out God. He knows all. others we can to a point except those closest to us, for example, my husband and children know most all my warts. how true it is that we try to hide ourselves from one another, especially those warts. i know i do!

the hope of the Gospel, tim shared, is that we stand before the mirror of truth, we see who we really are - covenant breakers - we experience the shame of who we really are - covenant breakers - in need of the animal sacrifice of the old testament where our sin was atoned for and in the new testament when the last and final blood sacrifice was made - Christ's death.  there on the cross His sacrificial death covered our shame completely, once and for all.  he called it "the glorious covering of Christ upon us."

i was so inspired after that sunday's message. this may sounds miniscule to you but it was a big deal to me at the moment. i'd signed up to keep the kids that sunday nite at church but because of what i thot was the wart of my fatigue i thot i'd better *hide* that and fulfill what i'd signed up to do. after the sermon i was **FREE** to admit my warts 'n all (not that fatigue is a wart but sometimes we think our frailties, our limitations are warts too and feel ashamed of them) so i admitted to the coordinator i wasn't up to helping and i was very relieved to take care of myself, rest that afternoon and evening, and trust that the childcare would be taken care of somehow - and it was! 

just last nite before small group my husband and i were trying to decide about how much to share in the way of prayer requests. because of this **FREEDOM** to share our wart ridden lives and it not being necessary to hide any longer since we're covered by His blood once and for all, we chose to be transparent, share from our hearts, and received not only a lack judgement in return but kind and gentle prayers along with confidence that there'll be continued prayers for us in the future.
 
i'm sure you're quite familiar with the old hymn that comes to mind (sorry i couldn't get it to print out better than the below).

"nothing but the blood of Jesus"
robert lowry, 1876

1.      What can wash away my sin?   Nothing but the blood of Jesus.   What can make me whole again?   Nothing but the blood of Jesus.  Refrain:  O precious is the flow   that makes me white as snow;   no other fount I know;   nothing but the blood of Jesus.   2. For my pardon this I see:   nothing but the blood of Jesus.   For my cleansing this my plea:   nothing but the blood of Jesus.   (Refrain)   3. Nothing can for sin atone:   nothing but the blood of Jesus.   Naught of good that I have done:   nothing but the blood of Jesus.   (Refrain)   4. This is all my hope and peace:   nothing but the blood of Jesus.   This is all my righteousness:   nothing but the blood of Jesus.   (Refrain) 

No comments: