Thursday, March 26, 2009

who am i?

the following is a reading from ravi zacharis' ministry i get via email. on a recent sunday i pulled up to church really late and parked right in front. i felt very arrogant parking in that prime spot!  i wondered about all the many things about myself. am i arrogant? was that the enemy's voice or can't i be arrogant for sure at times? but am i not positionally holy in Him, thanks be to God? who am i really? only the Lord knows. this reading reminds me of the oftentimes weary struggle within to figure all of this out while i'm on earth. i look forward to heaven where the angst will end.

While in prison, Dietrich Bonhoeffer struggled with the many reflections
of his life.  As a seminary instructor he was considered a saint and a
giant.  In America they made him feel like an escapist.  In prison they
made him feel like a criminal.  There were days when he saw himself as all
three and all the stages in between.  It was in such a convolution of
images that he asked:        

"Who am I? 
This or the other? 
Am I one person today, and tomorrow another? 
Am I both at once? A hypocrite before others,
And before myself a contemptible woebegone weakling? 
Or is something within me still like a beaten army, 
Fleeing in disorder from victory already achieved? 
Who am I? They mock me, 
these lonely questions of mine. 
Whoever I am, Thou knowest, O God, I am Thine."(2)

Our adoption by God is our identity, the picture we hold as children until
the day when there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, and
God will wipe every tear from our eyes.  Neither death nor life, nor
anything else in all creation, can separate us from this love of God that
is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  

Jill Carattini is managing editor of A Slice of Infinity at Ravi
Zacharias International Ministries
 in Atlanta, Georgia.

No comments: