Friday, January 30, 2009

another cultural treat

another excerpt from "I Remember Mama" 2005

I remember....sassafras tea you or my Granny (your wonderful Mama) would make (she was also perfectly planned by the Lord God above and given to you and then me by Him). You'd dig up some roots (of a tree? I don't recall), wash them off real good and boil those roots in some water 'til hot.   Then we'd drink the fragrant hot tea and it was always a treat.  I remember later on coming across a stick of hard candy by the same name and would buy one because of the tea. Along these lines I remember you picking water cress or poke sallet from a cold, spring stream but I never liked to eat those - too healthy.  I certainly wouldn't eat something green that looked like it might taste like spinach.  When I was growing up I mostly liked any kind of potato and coca cola (Coke, never Pepsi and never, ever Shasta cola).

No comments: