Tuesday, January 6, 2009

true resolutions

i hope my tongue 'n cheek blog the other day did not offend anyone. i can be a real smart aleck if i'm not careful.  in this month's "tabletalk" which my husband takes, there's an article on jonathan edwards' resolutions, unrelated to the new year in edwards' thinking but mentioned in the january issue because resolutions are on all our minds when the calendar rolls over.

during 1722 & 1723, when in his teens and just following his conversion, he wrote 70 resolutions. quoting the article in "tabletalk": "his (edwards') goal in making and keeping resolutions isn't self-fulfillment but the glory of God." here are just a couple.

1. Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriads of ages hence.  Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general.  Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many soever, and how great soever.

4.  Resolved, never to do any manner of thing, whether in soul or body, less or more, but what tends to the glory of God; nor be, nor suffer it, if I can avoid it.

6.  Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live.

28. Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow  in the knowledge of the same.

29. Resolved, never to count that a prayer, nor to let that pass as a prayer, nor that as a petition of a prayer, which is so made, that I cannot hope that God will answer it, not that as a confession, which I cannot hope God will accept.

67. Resolved, after afflictions, to inquire, what I am the better for them, what good I have got by them, and what I might have got by them.

i am challenged to follow Jesus more intimately by anything the puritan edwards says. if i can resolve to do that in 2009, then all the rest will fall into place and i won't have to set unrealistic goals i'll never achieve like getting up at 4 am, spending hours-long quiet times and the aforementioned sillies in that previous blog. 

i resolve to depend upon and need Him alone as God, not myself as god, reflecting less of myself, my self centeredness, fears and tendency not to trust, to name only a few of my struggles. 

No comments: