Wednesday, January 7, 2009

you won't know 'til you know

it was october of 2007. both of my adult kids had come home to roost, one bringing a puppy. after 9 years, i could no longer do my counseling practice out of my home. but what to do, Lord? should i move my practice elsewhere? should i stop counseling and do something else? take a break altogether? go to work for patti who works with the elderly in nursing homes? go to work for another counseling clinic? the ideas and leads were there but the answers were not. finally, it came to me, something i thought was from the Lord above:  i won't know until i know. 

i was trying to force a solution which is one of my favorite alanon sayings. the rest of it says we become irritable, restless and discontent when trying to force solutions or something close to that. i began to relax. i began to apply the scripture "be still and know that i am God" from psalm 46:10. it was an ah-haaa moment for me and so i waited more patiently and in a few days, the answers came.  i moved my practice to another location, in with two other social workers.

january 2009.  it ocurred to me once again.  i'm trying to force a solution.  once again it's about work. (i think that may be coincidental, maybe not.)  i've been on a sabbatical from work since august and am now ready to return to work this month. but where? continue private practice? work in a hospital setting? go to work for hallmark selling greeting cards? become a teacher in the social work department at ualr? not that i've been asked to do any of these things but while i'm at it, why not brainstorm? but panic has been there for months instead of remembering the lesson from before:  i won't know until i know.  be patient. be still before a faithful, trustworthy God. i'm breathing better already since He reminded me of the lesson i'd already been taught. isn't He great to teach us over and over the things He's already taught us?

No comments: