Monday, February 9, 2009

if it ain't broke, don't fix it

i've been off work for 6 months. i was privileged to take some time off for r and r. i didn't know it but i guess there was some burn out going on with work and i just had lots of other things needing seen to. all that's done now and it's been time to look for work the last several months.

i'd perused thru a book on menopause (see next blog post) and i thot "i'm supposed to do something different in my next job." as i read, i thot: maybe that's part of why i stopped counseling. i'm supposed to do x, y or z.

okay, track with me. next subject but trust me,  i'll relate it back.  i have one precious aunt on my dad's side of the fam in chicago. i asked her in an email recently: "tell me, you're 30 years older than me, tell me all you've learned in those years, what should i do the next 30 of my life differently or the same as you've done? i want to glean wisdom from you. write me a letter please." we've loved one another's written notes and cards thru the years so i was salivating with the request. she wrote back in an email and declined my request but said this:

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  

(in the cliche' book, see: leave/let well enuf alone:  do not try to improve matters lest you make them worse. this idea was stated in ancient greek times....)

that was her sage advice.  i wanted more, pages and pages of what she'd learned, but it must've boiled down to this for her.

so i pondered that and in the end, decided doing the same thing - counseling - was indeed what God had planned for me to do work-wise. i'm still holding on to those other ideas and we'll see what comes of those but for now since i've worked as a counselor, psychotherapist, what-have-u imma do that next tuesday.  it wasn't broke, i was just supposed to do some other things for 6 months i reckon.

ps: happy 76 trombones birthday today mama!

No comments: