Monday, November 10, 2008

am i crazy?

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY!

Crazy in Random House Webster’s College Dictionary (1992): 

cra.zy ,  -adj. 1. mentally deranged; insane. 2. impractical; totally unsound:  a crazy scheme. 3. intensely eager or enthusiastic. 4. infatuated (usu. fol. by about). 5. unusual; bizarre. 6. slang. wonderful; perfect.  -noun. 7. slang. an unpredictable person; oddball:  one nice sister and two crazies.  -idiom. 8. like crazy. slang. with great enthusiasm or energy:  we worked like crazy all morning

Often my clients think they are crazy.  The dictionary definitions are many and our culture’s use of the word is varied!  This one little word can mean so many things and be used in so many ways – constructively and destructively.   Here are a few of my thoughts on what crazy is and isn’t.  Primarily I’d like to say that if you’re seeking counsel, you are definitely NOT crazy.  But then that’s just my crazy opinion for what it’s worth! J

Crazy is a feeling

Crazy is an expletive

Crazy is an accusation

Crazy is the weather

Crazy is my hair’s doing crazy things

Crazy is I’m crazy in love

Crazy is a crazy good time

Crazy is I’m crazy about you

Crazy is (I feel like) I’m going crazy

Crazy is (I feel like) you’re driving me crazy

Crazy is (I feel like) you’re making me crazy

Crazy is crazy behavior

Crazy is crazy-making behavior

Crazy is I’m having crazy thoughts

Crazy is not a diagnosis in the DSM IV (diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association)

Crazy is not I have a mood disorder

Crazy is not I’m on medication

Crazy is not I’m going to a counselor

Crazy is not I need a 12-step program

Crazy is not I need or needed hospitalization

 HBF 5.07

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love what you said about "if you are seeking counsel then you're NOT crazy." Good point.

Anonymous said...

Called yourself a shrink, I found that funny